NEW YORK, June 23, 2021 – WarnerMedia today announced its newest Technology & Operations hire, Suja Viswesan as Head of Data, completing the company’s executive leadership team for its technology group. Effective immediately, Viswesan will lead the data, product and analytics strategy across the company’s Technology & Operations organization. This includes architecting and building a robust, scalable, and highly distributed data infrastructure, as well as managing and optimizing core data infrastructure. Based in San Francisco, she reports to Richard Tom, Chief Technology Officer, WarnerMedia.
“Suja is the ideal leader to join our team as she not only has great experience that is deeply rooted in software development and big data, but she also brings with her a purposeful focus on building inclusive and global products and teams,” said Tom. “She will play a crucial role in how we apply data to build the best products and tools to deliver WarnerMedia’s content to millions of customers across the world, and I’m so excited that she’s here.”
Prior to joining WarnerMedia, Viswesan served as Director of Engineering at LinkedIn where she led the Big Data Applications and Platform Organization and was responsible for the company’s data strategy, infrastructure, and compliance. Her previous experience also includes leading a global team at IBM, where she supported the company’s global data and insights platform, as well as supported the development of the product management strategy.
“From VHS to DVDs to streaming, media has not only adopted and shaped bleeding-edge technology but also has adapted to suit the demand of its audience,” said Viswesan. “The future of media continues to evolve rapidly, and I am super excited to work with this amazing team to learn and shape the next chapter of big data media technology and unlock its boundless possibilities.”
Since joining WarnerMedia in June 2020, Tom has focused on revamping the company’s technology and operations structure, drawing on long-tenured leadership from across WarnerMedia’s existing businesses and importing external talent from top technology companies to its senior leadership team. The Technology & Operations team is responsible for delivering the technology strategy, platform development and operations across the full scope of WarnerMedia’s portfolio of its linear, digital and streaming platforms. This includes the company’s data strategy, content delivery systems, master control operations, broadcast engineering, advertising technology, and the technology platform for HBO Max, while also supporting the everyday underpinnings of the company and its global workforce.
The WarnerMedia Technology & Operations executive leadership team reporting into Tom includes:
- Bob Hesskamp, a long-time veteran with more than 25 years of experience with Turner and CNN, serves as EVP of Production Engineering;
- Patty Hirsch, a digital technology executive with past leadership roles at Warner Bros., Time Warner, and CBS Interactive, is EVP of Consumer Digital Platforms for the company’s entertainment, news and sports division;
- Ben John, an engineer and established technology leader with previous roles at AppNexus, Experian and Kaplan Test Prep, serves as Chief Technology Officer of Xandr;
- Lonn Lee, who joined the company most recently from Facebook in November 2020, is SVP of Product Innovation, Media Supply Chain and Content Operations;
- Jason Press, a former Comcast executive, joined WarnerMedia in 2019 and serves as EVP of Direct-To-Consumer Technology and Program Management;
- Kevin Seng joined WarnerMedia in November 2020 from Snap, Inc. and serves as SVP of Advertising Technology;
- Kathy Styponias, a longtime HBO technology executive, is EVP of Strategy and Business Operations;
- Suja Viswesan joining today from LinkedIn, serving as Head of Data;
- Mike Welch leads the Xandr business as EVP and General Manager, bringing with him 24 years of experience working in various roles throughout AT&T;
- Jeff Zeitz, a Warner Bros. executive for more than 25 years, serves as SVP of Enterprise and Workplace Technology.
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others. The organization also includes Xandr’s suite of advanced advertising solutions designed to help to improve advertising for brands, publishers, and consumers.
Update: As of July 6, WarnerMedia announced its 2021 Equity and Inclusion Initiatives Focused on Executives of Color