Glastonbury Festival 2020 was already postponed to this year, but this afternoon Michael and Emily Eavis have announced that Glastonbury 2021 will have to be cancelled too due to the coronavirus pandemic. The organisers released a statement, apologising to ticket holders and offering the chance to roll over their £50 deposit to next year. The festival’s official Twitter account wrote: “With great regret, we must announce that this year’s Glastonbury Festival will not take place and that this will be another enforced fallow year for us. Tickets for this year will roll over to next year. Full statement below and on our website. Michael & Emily.”
The full statement read: “With great regret, we must announce that this year’s Glastonbury Festival will not take place and that this will be another enforced fallow year for us.
“In spite of our efforts to move Heaven & Earth, it has been clear that we simply will not be able to make the Festival happen this year. We are so sorry to let you all down.
“As with last year, we would like to offer all those who secured a ticket in October 2019 the opportunity to roll their £50 deposit over to next year, and guarantee the chance to buy a ticket for Glastonbury 2022.”
The Eavis family thanked fans for their patience and looked forward to next year when they’re more hopeful of the festival taking place.
They added: “We are very appreciative of the faith and trust placed in us by those of you with deposits, and we are very confident we can deliver something really special for us all in 2022!
“We thank you for your incredible continued support and let’s look forward to better times ahead. With love, Michael & Emily.”
The news comes just a month after Emily Eavis told the BBC she had hoped for Glastonbury 2021 to go ahead.
She said: “We’re doing everything we can on our end to plan and prepare, but I think we’re still quite a long way from being able to say we’re confident 2021 will go ahead.”
Speaking with ITV News West Country, Michael said: “Five hundred people is OK, isn’t it? But my job, 250,000 altogether, is too many people I suppose really.
“I’m still hoping I’m going to run next year. We’re moving heaven and earth to make sure that we do, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to happen, that’s just wishful thinking.”
Asked if he worries about Glastonbury’s future, the 85-year-old said: “No, I do not worry at all, I am so confident that it will survive. The only certainty I think is the year after, 2022.
“To be perfectly candid, so we might have to wait for two years maybe. But I am still hoping and we are fighting and working at it all the time to make sure it happens next year.”
The Glastonbury organiser also said he believes performing arts will come back stronger than ever before after the pandemic.
Michael added: “Of course it will. My god, yeah. You can’t kill it off just like that. It will come back. It will come back, probably stronger actually.”
Here’s hoping 2022 will be able to be a great year of summer festivals.
Glastonbury Festival 2021 had been set to take place between June 23-27.
Published at Thu, 21 Jan 2021 13:06:00 +0000