Recent research conducted by the app’s researchers suggest that only testing people with the three classic symptoms may have led to hundreds of thousands of cases in the UK being missed over the course of the pandemic.
Simply adding fatigue, sore throat, headache and diarrhoea to the classic three symptoms for NHS testing would detect many more cases, helping to stop the spread of the virus and bring the pandemic to an end, the researchers claim.
In fact, the list of non-classic symptoms is not confined to seven.
ZOE COVID Symptom Study app contributors are offered a test if they report any of the potential symptoms of the disease, including:
- Severe fatigue
- Change or loss of smell (anosmia) or taste
- Persistent cough
- High temperature/fever
- Unusual pains in the chest, abdomen or muscles
- Sore throat or a hoarse voice
- Severe shortness of breath
- Sudden confusion (delirium)
- Skipping meals
- Skin rash
- Changes to the tongue or mouth ulcers.
Published at Thu, 18 Feb 2021 15:52:00 +0000